Moscow oblast. Kolomna. Staro-Golutvinsky Monastery
Written by  Feb 15, 2022 - 176 Views

Moscow oblast. Kolomna. Staro-Golutvinsky Monastery Featured

On the very outskirts of Kolomna, at the confluence of two Great Russian rivers, there is the Old Golutvinsky Monastery.
It was founded in 1385 (according to other sources in 1374) by St. Gregory of Golutvinsky, a disciple of St. Sergius of Radonezh, on the instructions of St. Sergius and Dmitry Donskoy. It was St. Sergius of Radonezh who played a significant role in its foundation, it was he who chose a place near the place where the Moscow River flows into the Oka. The first church erected on the territory of the monastery - the Church of the Epiphany was also founded by Sergius.

Initially, the monastery was simply called Golutvinsky, and the word Old (meaning Old) was added after the foundation of the Novo-Golutvinsky Monastery in the Kolomna Kremlin. Over time, the monastery developed, became rich and influential, became famous for its extensive collection of books and manuscripts. In the XVIII century, many buildings of the monastery were rebuilt, and then it acquired its most striking feature - high Russian Gothic towers.

However, when the Kolomna diocese was dissolved in 1799 and moved to Tula, the influential status of the monastery began to weaken, and it even lost its seminary, which followed the new diocese to Tula. The monastery was closed in 1929 and was subsequently used by the army as a social club. The monastery was reopened in 1994, and in 1996 the Kolomna Theological Seminary was recreated on its territory.

Epiphany Cathedral of the Old Golutvinsky Monastery
The main cathedral of the monastery is the Epiphany Cathedral. It was built in the first half of the XVIII century to replace the original stone version, which was built by Saints Gregory and Sergius at the foundation of the monastery. In fact, the foundation of the original cathedral is still visible in the basement of the new cathedral and includes a stone that became known as the saint's stone because St. Sergius walked on it. Guided tours of the monastery allow you to go down into the dungeon and touch the ancient stones.

The Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh
The Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh is a simple yellow church built between 1828 and 1833. In addition to the fact that it is dedicated to St. Sergius, it has altars dedicated to St. Gregory of Golutvinsky and St. Nicholas. The abbot's chambers are attached to the church.

The monastery bell tower was built in the 19th century as part of the monastery walls. It consists of four tiers and has a height of 64 meters. Inside the bell tower is the gate church of the Introduction of Mary (Theotokos).

Currently, the buildings and the territory of the Epiphany Old Golutvinsky Monastery are inhabited, well-groomed, you can get to the territory daily from 7.30 to 20.00.
Login to post comments
Top
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…